Find a Post

Saturday 7 February 2015

Making the "Sunday Cake" from Tanya Burr's book 'Love, Tanya'

I fancied something chocolaty and yummy and as I'm currently reading Tanya's book, I thought I'd make something from there so I decided to make the "Sunday Cake". I might make a few more of the recipes useful from Miss Burr's book in the coming weeks... We shall see!

                                  


Ingredients for the cake:
170g butter
170g caster sugar
3 eggs
30g cocoa powder
140g self-raising flour
1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

(We had no baking powder, I made it without) - this was my first attempt, it ended up turning out OK, but no way great! 

      

So, I mixed the caster sugar and butter after weighing everything out and once that was all thick and creamy I added the 3 eggs, cocoa powder and self-raising flower into the mix and whizzed it all together to create a delicious chocolaty cake mix! This was my favourite and most easy part, using the electric whisk has always been fun and I LOVE watching the ingredients change from just a pile of ingredeints to a gorgeous mixture. 

                                 

I then lined the bottom of my cake tin with grease-proof paper and lathered the edges with whisked egg so the cake would pop out of the tin easily- it took me a while to fit the grease proof paper in the tin and my arm was aching after manually whisking an egg up! Once this was done, I poured the whole mix into the tin and popped it into the oven on 180 degrees for about half an hour. 
(I didn't use two seperate tins as I thought I'd just cut it in half in order to put the icing in the middle)

Here's my cake, just out of the oven!

                                     

While my cake cooled down, I began on the icing.

Ingredients for the icing:
60g butter
110g icing sugar
Cocoa powder for flavour

Now, my first attempt on the icing sugar was rather awful; I decided to add milk as well at butter, making it extremelly runny and horrible, so I had to throw the whole lot out! I told you, I'm not really the experienced baker! Once I had figured how to do it properly and not have to add milk to make it at the right consistency I whisked the butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder together creating a thick and yummy icing for the inside of my cake. Once my cake had cooled I cut it in half and lathered the icing on one half to sandwich both halves together, I then melted some milk chocolate to cover the top of the Sunday cake, as well as grating a milkybar over the top to create a pretty and tasty topping. 

My finished cake has all been eaten up by myself, my family and friends so unfortunately there's no picture of it completed... Sorry! Yum!

I hope you enjoyed reading about my Sunday Cake making shenanigans! I have a time-lapsed viedo of me making the cake which is now up om youtube... Check it out https://youtu.be/W-cSgXWKiAU :-)

                                                Love, Ceri Xx




No comments:

Post a Comment